• abandoning the 5 hindrances,
• developing the 4 foundations of mindfulness, &
• realizing the 7 factors of enlightenment
so as to gain true knowledge & release from the bondage of suffering & rebirth.
Shankman R. The Experience of Samadhi. An In-depth Exploration of Buddhist Meditation. Shambhala, Boston, 2009.
1. Sensual desire: Craving for pleasure to the senses.
2. Anger or ill-will: Feelings of malice directed toward others.
3. Sloth-torpor or boredom: Half-hearted action with little or no concentration.
4. Restlessness-worry: The inability to calm the mind.
5. Doubt: Lack of conviction or trust.
4 foundations of mindfulness, bases for maintaining moment-by-moment mindfulness and for developing mindfulness through meditation:
1. mindfulness of the body
2. mindfulness of feelings (or sensations)
3. establishing mindfulness of mind (or consciousness)
4. mindfulness of mental objects (or qualities)
7 factors of enlightenment:
1. Mindfulness - to be aware & mindful in all activities & movements both physical & mental
2. Investigation into the nature of dhamma
4. Joy or rapture
5. Relaxation or tranquility of both body and mind
6. Concentration - a calm, one-pointed state of concentration of mind
7. Equanimity - to be able to face life in all its vicissitudes with calm of mind and tranquility, without disturbance."
above from Wikipedia
|near the Forest Refuge, Barre, MA|